Congressman Chip Roy, already a proven Pro-Life leader as a freshman
Since winning election to Congress in November 2018 to represent the constituents of Texas’s 21st Congressional District, Chip Roy has hit the ground running in Washington, D.C. In the typical Washington power structure, freshmen members of Congress are expected to stand on the sidelines, but Congressman Roy has already demonstrated incredible leadership, jumping straight into the D.C. fray. He has fearlessly taken on establishment politics to restore transparency and rights to the people he represents, including preborn children.
He has declared his beliefs about the value and rights of the preborn openly, even in difficult circumstances. Throughout his previous campaign, Roy defended his Pro-Life principles candidly. His actions and votes in the United States House of Representatives prove that his campaign slogans are deeply held convictions for which he will fight.
Within his first month in Congress, Roy prioritized co-sponsoring several pieces of federal Pro-Life legislation, including bills to defund Planned Parenthood and prohibit abortion at five months, the point at which scientific evidence proves preborn children can feel pain. Along with his fellow Republican colleagues, he has called on Democratic House leadership to hold a vote on the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act, supporting basic protections and medical care for children who survive an attempted abortion and taking a strong stance against infanticide.
Congressman Roy has a 100% rating on National Right to Life’s Federal Scorecard. There have been at least six opportunities to vote Pro-Life in Congress in 2019, and at every possible opportunity, Roy has stood by his Pro-Life beliefs:
- An appropriations bill considered in January attempted to reverse President Trump’s policy of prohibiting U.S. funding from paying for abortions overseas and to reinstate U.S. funding to the United Nations Populations Fund (UNFPA), an agency known to be involved in restrictive foreign population control policies. Congressman Roy voted against this bill.
- The “For the People Act of 2019” would restrict the free speech rights of organizations, including Pro-Life non-profits, and the privacy rights of donors to those organizations. Congressman Roy voted against this bill.
- The “Equality Act” redefines “sex” to include “pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition.” The Equality Act can be interpreted dangerously to guarantee a right to abortion. Congressman Roy voted against this bill.
- The “Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, Defense, State, Foreign Operations, and Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act, 2020” sought to reverse several federal Pro-Life policies, including:
- President Trump’s Protect Life rule that ensures Title X family planning funding is directed toward facilities that do not commit, promote, or refer for abortion.
- President Trump’s rule enforcing conscience protection for healthcare professionals who do not want to commit abortion, sterilization, or assisted suicide.
- The Mexico City Policy, which prohibits U.S. funding of non-governmental organizations that commit or promote abortion. The bill’s language to undo this policy would impact both current and future attempts at implementation.
On the first two policies, Republican members offered amendments stripping the anti-Life language from the bill. Congressman Roy voted for both of these Pro-Life amendments. Unfortunately, both amendments failed. The bill ultimately passed the House, but Congressman Roy voted against this bill.
- An appropriations bill considered in June repealed the “D.C. Hyde Amendment,” a decades-old policy preventing abortions in D.C. that are paid for with taxpayer funds. Congressman Roy voted against this bill.
Although the Democrat-controlled House has passed all of these bills, thankfully none of these dangerous measures have yet passed the Senate.
After his election, Congressman Roy knew his district would remain a top target for Democrats in 2020. In similar circumstances, most politicians hide their conservative beliefs and back away from “controversial issues.” However, Roy has not only stood consistently for his Pro-Life principles with his votes, but he has also vocalized criticism when Republican leadership seemed to be backing away from their conservative principles in Congress.
In 2020, Roy will face a challenge from one of Texas’s most infamous abortion proponents–Wendy Davis. But there is no better opponent to face her. An ardent and consistent defender of Life faces a politician whose claim to fame was an attempt to preserve and expand the legal slaughter of innocent preborn babies. Texas Congressional District 21 has incredible representation in Chip Roy, and his consistent leadership has earned the full support of his constituents.
Tags: 2020 election, Chip Roy, Pro-Life Hero, wendy davis